The University Design Consortium and Center for American Culture at Arizona State University, in partnership with the ASU Art Museum, are organizing a traveling art exhibition at four American culture centers on Chinese university campuses in the spring semester of 2015. The exhibition is funded by the U.S. Embassy in Beijing in support of the network of American culture centers in China.
Between Earth and Sky: Contemporary Art from the American Southwest was created to promote and enhance understandings of the various cultures in the American Southwest.
The ASU Art Museum reached out to 12 artists from diverse cultural backgrounds and collected 26 prints, drawings and photographs reflecting contemporary perceptions of the complex cultures in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.
At each participating Chinese university, a curator from the ASU Art Museum will present at least two lectures about the exhibition, designed to reach both art specialists as well as the general public.
Peter Held, former ASU Art Museum curator, will initiate the exhibition at Sichuan University in March. Julio Cesar Morales will travel to Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications to continue the exhibit during April. Heather Sealy Lineberry, associate director of the museum is responsible for the exhibit at University of Shanghai Science and Technology in May. Lastly, Gordon Knox, director of the ASU Art Museum, will conclude the exhibit at Xi’an International University in June.
Special thanks to the participating artists:
- Alice Leora Briggs, Lubbock, Texas
- Binh Danh, Tempe, Arizona
- Claudio Dichocea, Austin, Texas
- Jason Garcia, Santa Clara Pueblo, New Mexico
- Mark Klett, Tempe, Arizona
- Michael Lundgren, Phoenix, Arizona
- Carrie Marill, Phoenix, Arizona
- Monica Aissa Martinez, Phoenix, Arizona
- Leigh Merrill, Austin, Texas
- Matthew Moore, Phoenix, Arizona
- Rose B. Simpson, Santa Clara Pueblo, New Mexico
- Will Wilson, Santa Fe, New Mexico
View the catalog designed for this exhibition: between_earth_and_sky-contemporary_art_from_american_southwest.pdf.